Thursday, October 27, 2005

My new wheels are on the way

I passed the test! Finally I got round to write the learners for the bike. My buddy and I took a road trip to Bronkhorspruit, about 65 km out of town) and booked a date. The 20th of this month we wrote the test and passed - really, we couldn't fail. Ok, most of the attendees failed, but only due to a lack of support material - let's not go into that ;-). That was a Thursday. Oh, right, I shouldn't forget. We came across a very nice little restaurand call Die Stoep (translated The Porch) and had the most devine lasagne.

The following Saturday it was of course mandatory that I test drive a bike and managed to find a willing vendor. Man was I impressed with the Vista (Weekend pleasures post). Of course, I could only compare it with one other bike, a scrambler, but I was definitely impressed. Acceleration is not brilliant, but enough to make for a fun ride and handling is good except at low speeds, quite normal for a cruiser. The selling point was when I stopped to turn into another road. A group of pedestrians stopped in their tracks to admire the bike. I was very chuffed and of course returned their complements with a cool response. I turned my head to the road and calmly proceeded to stall the bike. Now I know what my motorbike helmet will be used for...

Anyway, the bike is on the way! The order has been placed and financing organised. All that remains is for my supplier to assemble the wheels and seat and registration.

Yuki Vista 125 To the left is yet another label for the same bike. This is the 125 cc version. There are some minor differences between the Yuki and Qingqi versions of the Vista. Mine was ordered in all black.

I almost forgot to mention. The Qingqi Vista I ordered is not the standard model 150 cc. Some of the sellers call it the anti-vibration model, some the Mk2 and others call it the souped up version and even the deregulated model. Whatever you may call it. This one is better, or so they claim. As far as I could gather the modifications include balancing the crank shaft, rubber mountings added to reduce vibrations, better air intake and modified exhaust to increase power by about 15 %. This will hopefully also reduce fuel consumption assuming I'm able to hold back. Top speed is according to reports about 135-140 kph. Good enough for me.