Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Some more sushi

I'm officially addicted. I love sushi and cannot get enough of it.
My first attempt at sushi
Even if I say so myself my first attempt pictured left is not too shabby. In fact I'll give myself a pat on the back right now. Pictured left in the image is the Tuna (the reddish meat) and Norwegian Salmon (almost yellow in colour) Maki. To the right of that there are two pieces on Sashimi made from Tuna (actually just leftover pieces) and three pieces if Nigiri on the far right also made from Tuna. You guessed it, the tuna is my favourite, and coincidentally also the cheapest :-). This photo was from last week Friday. Sorry about the quality - phone cams don't do it justice in bad lighting.

Last nights pleasures
Last night we one again indulged ourselves. I showed my housemate, his girlfiend and sister how to make sushi. Man, it is even better than in the restaurants. The picture to the right is by my buddy. Also not bad for first try. 10 points for the arrangement.

Now just to justify my claim to sushi addiction. Last week friday evening - sushi, Monday night - sushi, Tuesday night - sushi. You'll never guess what I had for breakfast today... OK, so it was not sushi in the true sense for breakfast as there was no fish, just the avocado. I didn't like the idea of leaving the fish overnight. Never trust raw meat. But, to satisfy the craving I had a good 12 pieces of sushi for lunch... Yah, I'm hooked bad.

Bleh, now its back to work. Any other sushi lovers out there?

3 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Hmmmm, Sushi orgies... You're speaking my language. Yeah, the sashimi is the best, just the raw piece of meat dipped in soya with an abundant dose of wasabi. It gets expensive though, so we usually have two pieces or so of sashimi and then have lots an'lots of maki rolls. Its so easy to make and its the best social dinner you can have.

I don't know what you pay for sushi in Germany - here its about R60 to R70 (about $10) for a small assortment of sashimi at a restaurant. It's much cheaper to make it.

I think for the last sushi experiment we were 4 people and it worked out to about R40 (just over $6)for the lot. We only finished a third of the fish (the most expensive part anyway) having made maki and nigiri till we could eat no more. Not too bad, and we had great fun.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Oh man! Wasabi and I are good friends. My friends think I'm crazy. I use so much wasabi that I break out in a sweat and go red in the face and start crying... Then its just perfect.

Ah, if you can just get someone to make your friends decent sushi, they'll be hooked forever. Most don't like the sashimi (the raw piece of meat) but it seems everyone loves the maki when correctly prepared.

And if they don't like fish, put a pickle in the maki. Make them a veggie maki roll...

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Paul said...

>> (its all your fault, i swear ;)

I take all the blame... Bring it on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home